Whether you’re new to the Windy City or you just want to get a different perspective on the place you call home, checking out local blogs can open up a whole new world. Even if you’ve lived in Chicago your whole life, seeing it through the eyes of someone else can change your whole perspective.
From seeking out critics with blogs searching out the best Chicago-style hot dogs or where you can get the best mango sticky rice to promoting the next labor day weekend and the Chicago marathon or what live music is going down in Lincoln Park or Wicker Park this week, here are some of the best blogs in Chicago, divided into several popular categories.
There are a lot of great things about fashion blogs: the clothes, the shoes, the style. One of the best things that these fashion blogs have to offer are the amazing photographs. Shot at various places around the city, you might see some views you’ve never seen before.
- ChiCityFashion. Blogger Jena Gambaccini started ChiCityFashion to expand beyond the then-140 character limit of her fashion Twitter account. Her look can be summed up as simple with a statement. Bonus: a lot of her photos are taken in front of awesome local street art.
- Natalie in the City. A self-described Chicago Plus Size Fashion Blog, Natalie Craig fell in love with fashion in elementary school. A recent college grad, Natalie is embracing her curves and love of putting together the perfect outfit. Natalie is relatable, genuine, and a bonafide fashionista.
- Blake Von D. Blake Von D’s background is beyond impressive. She completed her masters at NYU and then obtains her law degree from Tulane University. All that while building her online presence and becoming an influencer and brand ambassador. When you see her style, you’ll understand why.
There are so many places to eat in Chicago. You’ll find everything from Michelin Star-worthy fine dining to hidden neighborhood gems. These food blogs take you through them all—and even give you some great ideas for how to cook delicious food at home.
- Fab Food Chicago. Soo Park was born in Korea and moved to Chicago with her parents when she was only 3 years old. It’s safe to say she was a foodie even back then. Today, Soo writes about all kinds of food, from fine dining to fast casual, established eateries to hidden hot spots.
- Chicago Foodie Girl. Starr Nordgren is a writing professor by day, food blogger by night. She writes about restaurants both in the city and surrounding suburbs and shares recipes and cooking tips for eating in. She also travels a lot and takes her readers along for the journey.
- Make It Like a Man! Jeff the Chef is not playing around. His goal? Encourage men to cook at home. He offers an extensive list of recipes and even has good tips for how to entertain at home. Warning: the photos on Make It Like a Man! will make you seriously hungry.
Health and Fitness
This next set of blogs varies in scope a bit but they all aim to help make you happier and healthier. Whether you’re looking to get advice from a professional trainer, gain knowledge from a nutritionist, or gather inspiration from someone who’s worked her way out of tough times, these blogs will help you live your best life.
- The Four Percent. The idea behind Kate Lemere’s Four Percent blog is that a one-hour workout only makes up 4% of your day. She gives ideas for workout routines that anyone can do to get their whole body in shape. She also gives you recipes and product reviews to keep you on the right path.
- Nutrition Unplugged. Blogger Janet Helms is a registered dietitian who takes the science behind good eating and makes it easier to understand. She also addresses the confusing food and diet recommendations that are always changing to help you gain more control over your health.
- Erin’s Inside Job. Erin Bahadur’s blog is deeply honest. She’s a recovering addict who worked through her addiction and, once in the other side of it, learned how to make food and exercise her friends. She shares recipes and other resources as well as brutally honest looks at staying motivated.
No sanctimommies here! The women who run these blogs are down-to-earth, no-nonsense mamas who write about home and family to try to help spread their knowledge. You’ll find general tricks, practical advice for everything from Halloween costumes to birthday party venues, and travel tips to make your next vacation all that more relaxing.
- Making It Lovely. Nicole Balch didn’t start out as a mommy blogger. She began her blog in 2007 and the kids just kind of happened, as they do. Today, Making It Lovely is a mix of home renovation and decorating tips and ideas thrown in with brilliant ideas about parenting. Oh, and photos of her adorable children.
- Queen of the Land of Twigs and Berries. Amanda Simkin has 2 little boys and the perfect blog name. Her blog is a wealth of information and advice. Need ideas for a birthday party venue? Don’t know where to go for spring break? She even provides family-friendly trip ideas, tips, and destination reviews.
- Second City Mom. Leyla says that she wasn’t sure of the direction of Second City Mom when it started. Regardless, it ended up as one of the go-to places for Chicago parents looking for things to do or places to eat. Her Chicago guide is simply brilliant whether you’re in town for a visit or have lived in Chicago all your life and are looking for a fresh perspective. Plus, she shares photographs of her family’s daily lives that are just beautiful.